Even the “North German Credit Institute” founded by the banker George Marx in 1897 (he came from Cologne) was in reality a family business, because several of the twelve children as well as other relatives worked at the bank, which opened many branches in the province of East Prussia.
23. The banker George Marx (1843–1927)
24. Children of the family of Gertrud und George Marx 1892
25. Page from the prayer book of Gertrud Marx with the Hebraic equivalents for the German names
28. ”North German Credit Institute” founded by George Marx
26. Seal of the “North German Credit Institute”
27. Advertisement for the “North German Credit Institute”
29. The house of the George Marx family on Weidendamm
While searching for the story of the prominent Marx banking family, we finally came across several great-grandchildren and their subsequent generations in Israel. We wanted to know how the family history is remembered. Our message was that in Kaliningrad the Jewish history continues.
Notification of the merging of Norddeutsche Creditanstalt with Deutsche Bank, Hartungsche Zeitung, Königsberg.
Reminder of the fusion 100 years ago in the Historische Rundschau, Frankfurt/M
Tomy Marx published 2 books in Hebrew language in which he describes his family dynasty and reflects very openly on the conflicts of his childhood. He grew up in Germany and in Jerusalem before the founding of the Israeli state.
In Jerusalem, Assaf Steinschneider allowed us a look into the banker’s private account books.
The great-granddaughter Ruth Cohen travelled with her husband and son to Kaliningrad in November 2018.