In co-operation of 2020 with cmentarze-zydowskie.pl
Hohenstein Jüdischer Friedhof

The beginnings of Jewish settlement in Olsztynek (German name: Hohenstein) date back to the early 19th century. It is known that in 1831 eight followers of Judaism lived in the town. Until 1880 their number increased to 111 people. Windstorms of history caused the number of people of Jewish origin in Olsztynek (Hohenstein) to decrease at the turn of the century. Certainly many of them left for America as part of the then common economic emigration. In 1933 only 33 Jews lived in Olsztynek (Hohenstein). Two years later the local synagogue was sold. We have no information about the fate of the Jewish population of Olsztynek (Hohenstein) after the Nazi party took power. Probably as a result of growing repressions, some left the town, others were killed by the Nazis.

According to “The Encyclopedia of Jewish Life before and during the Holocaust”, the Jewish cemetery in Olsztynek (Hohenstein) was established in the mid-19th century. The necropolis is located at the junction of Jagiełły Street with the road towards Jemiołów. As a result of the damage, no traces of tombstones have survived to this day.

According to the information collected by Sławomir Michał Nieciecki, there was another Jewish cemetery in Olsztynek, located at the height of the present Szkolna Street; in the place where the “Farmer” housing cooperative estate was built.

Text: K. Bielawski
Photo: Sławomir Topolewski

Link to original web page cmentarze-zydowskie >>
More photos from this cemetery are available at Virtual Shtetl >>

We are looking for all information about the Jews from Olsztynek (Hohenstein) and their necropolises. We are also searching for accounts of people who remember these cemeteries from before World War II.

In co-operation of 2020 with cmentarze-zydowskie.pl
Logo

Close Menu