In 1954, a radio jamming station was erected on the cemetery grounds. Most of the matzevot (tombstones) were destroyed during the installation of the antennas. This facility remained in operation until 1988. The jamming ceased after the signing of the START Treaty between the USSR and the United States. In 1991, after the Jewish community had taken over the site, the radio antennas were dismantled and the human remains that were found were reinterred.
Podczas gdy w latach 1957–1960 budowano wieżę zegarową kościoła Matki Bożej Królowej Pokoju, z jej szczytu wykonano to zdjęcie urządzeń blokujących na cmentarzu żydowskim w Kłajpedzie (archiwum Bernarda Talaišisa).

While the clock tower of the Church of Mary, Queen of Peace was being built from 1957 to 1960, this photograph of the jamming devices at the Jewish Cemetery in Klaipėda was taken from it (Bernardas Talaišis archive).

Today, next to the parish hall on the cemetery grounds, there are four concrete pillars that served as the foundations for the antennas; fragments of the gravestones used as filler can be seen within them.

A view of the site of the Jewish cemetery, where the headquarters of the Klaipėda Jewish Community is located.
#klaipeda #memel Klaipėdos žydų bendruomenė #judeninostpreussen #jewsineastprussia