SEP 2022 – The museum is in operation The Jewish Museum in the Kaliningrad Synagogue started its operation on September 18, 2022. The first visitors
The small brick synagogue was built in 1860 in what was then Wormditter Street.
80 years ago, the first deportation train, which brought Jews from Königsberg, Tilsit and Allenstein to their death in Minsk, headed for its terrible destination. On the evening of June 24 1942 men, women and children had boarded the wagons.
The town had almost an urban appearance because of the customs revenues and the lively trade with its hotels, inns and stores. The Memel River was the important transport and trade artery for timber and flax imports from the interior of the continent to the Baltic Sea (via the ports of Memel or Königsberg)